Refunds and Extensions
To obtain a refund of premium (minimum $25.00)
- If the applicant cancels the policy at any time before the effective date of insurance; or
- If the applicant obtains government health insurance plan coverage from a Canadian province or territory, or returns home before the scheduled date of return (as per the confirmation) and there has been no claim reported or initiated or assistance services have not been provided;
- If you hold a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa (PG-1 VISA) and are leaving Canada permanently, you may request a partial refund if you provide proof of your departure from Canada and have not reported or initiated a claim or been provided with any assistance service.
Then the applicant may ask for a refund of the premium for the unused days of the trip.
No refunds are available for Trip Interruption Insurance after the effective date.
Automatic extension of coverage is provided beyond the date the applicant was scheduled to return home as per the confirmation if:
All travellers insured under the same policy must return together or be covered under a government health insurance plan from a Canadian province or territory for a refund to be possible.
- the common carrier is delayed. In this case, we will extend the coverage for up to 72 hours;
- the applicant or their travel companion is hospitalized. In this case, we will extend the coverage during the hospitalization and for up to 5 days after discharge from the hospital;
- the applicant or their travel companion has a medical condition that does not require hospitalization but prevents travel. In this case, we will extend the coverage for up to 5 days.
In any case, we will not extend coverage beyond 12 months after the effective date of insurance.
To extend the coverage, the applicant must make the request before the expiry date or the scheduled date of return (as per the confirmation). If the applicant has not had a change in their health status and has not had any event since the effective date of insurance that has resulted or may result in a claim, the extension may be issued upon request. Otherwise, the extension is subject to the approval of the Assistance Centre.