home login contact us French

Student travel plan
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)


What do I do if the online application doesn’t seem to be working properly?

Please contact us at 1-800-565-2338 (ET) 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.


1. Why does any Canadian student travelling out of country need travel insurance? If a traveller gets sick while out of Canada, won't our government health insurance plan pay for their medical expenses?

BON VOYAGE, BUT …”, published by Global Affairs Canada, states: "Out-of-country healthcare can be costly, and your health plan may not cover any medical expenses abroad.

[...] You may also want to purchase a travel insurance package that includes flight cancellation, trip interruption and/or lost luggage coverage. Doing so can prevent major disruptions and additional costs." Again, check the terms and conditions of these policies.

2. I am leaving my province of residence to travel to another province to study. Is student medical travel insurance necessary when travelling within Canada?

Government health insurance plans do have limits on the reimbursement of the emergency medical expenses incurred while in another province. For example, air and ground ambulance costs, emergency dental treatment and prescription drugs, as well as follow-up visits or outpatient visits or non-emergency medical services, might not be covered outside the province or territory of residence. Unlike Canadian provincial or territorial government health insurance plans, Manulife Financial Travel Insurance for Students also offers tuition protection in the event of a medical emergency. For maximum protection you should purchase additional medical coverage even while travelling within Canada. You can also insure your spouse and children who will live with you while you are covered under this policy.

3. Are there age limits?

Coverage is available up to and including the age of 39. Dependent children covered under your family plan must be a minimum of 30 days old.

4. Can coverage be extended during my trip?

If you already have coverage, simply call the Assistance Centre. You may be able to extend your coverage, as long as:

  1. your period of coverage does not extend beyond 365 days;
  2. you remain eligible for insurance under this plan;
  3. we have received the extension requests prior to the expiry date of your existing policy issued by us; and
  4. there has been no change between single or family coverage.
Note: For policy extensions, no losses or expenses or benefits will be paid for any illness or injury which first appeared, whether diagnosed or not, or for which treatment may or may not have been received, prior to the effective date of the extension of coverage under this policy.

5. Do you cover foster children in your definition of dependent children?


6. Can I purchase family coverage for only one parent and his/her children?

Yes, you will need to purchase a family plan and have the parent’s children listed on your confirmation of coverage.

7. Are there any deductibles under these plans?

The Manulife Financial Travel Insurance for Students plan applies no deductible amount to claims.

8. Does your policy provide for services offered in outpatient clinics and doctors' offices or do I have to be hospitalized?

A medical emergency is eligible for coverage if treated in an outpatient clinic or doctor’s office. You must contact our Assistance Centre prior to receiving any treatment.

9. The policy says that in the case of a medical emergency I am supposed to call the Assistance Centre. What if I don't get a chance to do that will I still be covered?

We ask you to call our Assistance Centre so that we can confirm, with the healthcare provider, your enrolment under the plan, manage the benefits in accordance with your policy and, when possible, avoid any out-of-pocket expenses for you. If you do not call the Assistance Centre, you will have to pay 20% of the medical expenses normally covered under this policy. If it is medically impossible for you to call, please have someone call on your behalf. It is your responsibility to ensure that the Assistance Centre has been notified.

Immediate access to the Assistance Centre is also available through its TravelAid mobile app. To download the app, visit:

The TravelAid mobile app can also provide you with directions to the nearest medical facility, local Emergency telephone numbers (such as 911 in North America), and pre- and post-departure travel tips.

10. Hospital and medical bills can easily run into thousands of dollars. Would I need to pay up front if I had an accident while travelling?

As outlined in our insurance policies, it is essential that you contact our Assistance Centre prior to receiving medical treatment. The Assistance Centre has existing relationships with medical providers all over the world, to ensure emergency situations are handled as smoothly as possible. Our Assistance Centre will communicate with your medical provider, arrange direct billing where possible and coordinate payment for the emergency service received.

11. Can I get an income tax receipt for the premium paid on this policy?

Manulife will provide a confirmation for the premium payment, which is an official receipt recognized by Canada Revenue Agency.

12. Why do I have to call the Assistance Centre prior to receiving any medical treatment?

The Assistance Centre will explain coverage, monitor care, pre-approve treatment, confirm enrolment to the service provider and ensure that incurred expenses do not exceed the reasonable charges that normally apply where the medical emergency occurs.

13. What is the maximum number of coverage days under this policy?

Under this policy, the maximum number of coverage days is 365 days. Upon expiry of a policy that has been in effect for 365 days (366 days in a leap year), the applicant may purchase another student policy for the following term if he/she is eligible for coverage.

14. What is covered when you travel outside Canada?

If your home country is Canada and you have purchased coverage for an outbound trip, you are covered for emergency and Wellness Benefits (non-emergency medical benefits) while travelling outside Canada for the period of coverage shown on your confirmation.

If your home country is not Canada and you have purchased coverage for an inbound trip, you are covered for emergency medical benefits while you travel outside Canada, excluding your home country, for periods of up to fifteen (15) consecutive days, provided your travel outside Canada does not exceed 49% of your period of coverage and as long as your travel outside Canada originates and terminates in Canada.

15. Can I go home to my country of origin during any school breaks?

Yes. The Trip Break benefit offers up to twenty-one (21) consecutive days to return home to attend special events if you have requested and received prior approval from our Assistance Centre. Your coverage will be suspended but will not terminate while you are home. Your suspension of coverage will end and your coverage will be reinstated when you arrive in Canada if you are inbound, or when you leave Canada if you are outbound, or when you leave home if you are a national student. There will be no refund of premium for any of the days that you have returned home.

about manulife legalinfo & privacy goto top